Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Networking 101: Install Apache

1.Open synaptic.  Search Apache 2.  Mark for installation and apply.  Now follow the instructions here for preparing your first site.
2. Before I could set up port forwarding, I had to turn my ATT 2wire gateway into a modem.  I did this by putting it into Bridge Mode.  Instructions as well as trouble shooting can be found here and here.   This process was not as easy as it sounds. AT&T does not want me to have control over my network without paying them 50$ to tell me how. There was even a setting I needed that was not accessible through my regular 2Wire interface. Fortunately, with a little help from the web,  I was able to squeeze enough info out of AT&T to do it myself. (namely my PPPoE password and the VPI and VCI settings) I feel fortunate to have been able to do this.  It seems it is something difficult for many AT&T subscribers.  I am now connected using my Linksys Router running dd-wrt standard software with a 2wire gateway acting as a modem. Time to port forward.
3.  First, set up  Static DHCP Lease. The best and most thorough instructions for this that I found are ->  How to!    Now follow the instructions found here for port forwarding and be sure to use the Static IP Lease you set up a minute ago.  (The web GUI method is the one I used.)
4.  Now find your ip address.  You can find it many ways.  The easiest is to look at the top of the GUI of your router. Type it into your browser and confirm it works.  Great.  Now have someone from outside of your network try it.  If it works then success.  If not, check to make sure your ISP does not block port 80.  Also check back through the static IP lease page and make sure no errors.  Did you save the settings on your router?  Still having trouble?  Post in the comments and I will help if I can.  Check mine out here. http://98.68.160.220/

No comments:

Post a Comment