Sunday, January 16, 2011

Server search

My search for a computer for IT566 has begun.  I found several options. One is here http://www.pcforsale.com/
It is a Dell Optiplex.  I have found this same computer from other locations as well for around the same price. I am a little leery of these Dells because they are mass produced for education and government and their quality, IMO, is questionable to say the least.  Craigslist has returned some prospects but with these it is hard to tell what your getting.  If anyone has any suggestions, I am wide open at this point.

Edit- Turns out that this is a better deal.  Comes with twice the RAM and twice the hard drive space, mouse and keyboard.  Free shipping as well and a 90 warranty. I think this is the one. 134.99
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GX280SFF-P430-MAR-2R&cat=SYS

7 comments:

  1. I went with a new HP, HP is phasing out their line in about 3 weeks and doing a new product line so I went to Staples and bought one. I checked out the refurbs on several online dealers, but it was hit or miss with the reviews, and I don't want to mess with used returns and warranties during work and this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck hunting for the right thing...Hmmmm, I wonder how much time we have to get a machine ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought the system (by PCForsale) - more than anything else, it offer PayPal ( ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked to a guy today that said he has had problems running Linux on Dales. That is the only thing slowing me down now. I will research it and report back tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have a Dell laptop, lasted me about 3 years before it started to die, i hated it, of course it had XP so that was probly a big part of that, now I have a macbook pro, much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope what you said about running Linux on Dells is not true, because I just bought one off of craigslist. hopefully it will stay alive during the semester and run what I need on it. Good luck getting your computer.

    ReplyDelete